Monday, November 10, 2008

Special Week-end Mass with the Archbishop

Francis of Assisi by José de RiberaImage via WikipediaThis past week-end as been special for me personally as I visited the Church of St Francis of Assisi in Jurong. This is my first visit and I really liked the Church - too bad that I did not bring my camera along for pictures as it was unplanned.

This unplanned visit spring more surprises as the Church was having a confirmation for 39 youths and the Archbishop Nicholas Chia was to celebrate the mass!

During the Homily, the Archbishop remind us that we are stuck in a "consumerism" mindset where money, status and prestige is the top priority. Today's financial crisis is a clear sign to us that all the materials accumulations can be wiped out over-night.

Instead, we should take a "vocational" mindset. Having a vocational mindset means that we look at not just ourselves but also of service to others. As Jesus said, he is here to serve and not to be served. As his true disciples, should we also not take that approach?

As the 39 youths are being confirmed, the Archbishop lead us in singing "Spirit of the living God, fall afresh on me.....Spirit of the living God, fall afresh on me......"

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

My Favourite Hym